The Smart Automation Certification Alliance (SACA) is offering our members the opportunity to be among the first organizations in the world to pilot six new industry-aligned micro-credentials. These new micro-credentials expand SACA’s robust list of industry-relevant credentials and represent an exciting opportunity for your students or employees to validate their skills for careers in smart manufacturing.
These new micro-credentials are part of SACA’s Specialist Certifications. Each credential assesses competencies for individual technical topics like laser alignment and hydraulic maintenance, or they can be combined with other micro-credentials to form comprehensive occupational credentials such as Automation Systems Specialist, Mechanical Systems Specialist, and Electro-Fluid Power Systems Specialist.
The new SACA micro-credentials are:
- Hydraulic Systems 1 (C-255): To gain this credential, candidates will demonstrate knowledge and skills to: operate industrial hydraulic systems, apply hydraulic system safety procedures; monitor hydraulic system operation; connect and operate basic hydraulic components; check and charge accumulator pressure; monitor performance of hydraulic system pressure and force; and more.
- Hydraulic Maintenance (C-256): To gain this credential, candidates will demonstrate knowledge and skills to: maintain hydraulic systems at peak reliability, install O-rings in hydraulic components; connect and disconnect hydraulic hoses, hydraulic steel tubing, and fittings; maintain hydraulic filters; analyze and service hydraulic reservoir fluid; and more.
- Mechanical Power Systems 2 (C-301): To gain this credential, candidates will demonstrate knowledge and skills to: apply mechanical troubleshooting safety procedures; install and adjust timing belt drive systems, heavy-duty shaft coupling systems, heavy-duty chain drive systems, and heavy-duty V-belt drive systems; troubleshoot mechanical power transmission system; and more.
- Laser Shaft Alignment 1 (C-302): To gain this credential, candidates will demonstrate knowledge and skills to: apply laser shaft alignment safety procedures; perform a rough shaft alignment using a jack bolt system; use a laser shaft alignment system to check/correct for soft foot; analyze the shaft alignment; and more.
- Electrical Motor Troubleshooting 1 (C-303): To gain this credential, candidates will demonstrate knowledge and skills to: apply electric motor safety procedures; connect and test DC and AC motors, single phase and three-phase; measure electric motor performance; troubleshoot and diagnose electric motor faults and component failures in various motors; and more.
- Pneumatic Troubleshooting 1 (C-304): To gain this credential, candidates will demonstrate knowledge and skills to: apply pneumatic troubleshooting safety procedures; troubleshoot air preparation components, pneumatic actuators and valves, and vacuums lift components; troubleshoot pneumatic machine sequence and performance; and more.
These certifications are now on the SACA Portal Site for SACA members only. As a SACA member, your staff and students are eligible to take the assessments for these credentials while they are in pilot phase and there is zero cost to your organization or students!
The results from these pilot tests will be used to set the cut scores. All individuals who have taken the assessments will be notified of their results, either pass or fail. For those who pass, they will receive SACA Silver Certificates and become eligible to be assessed for Gold level.
If you’re interested in piloting these new certifications, please log in to the SACA Portal site. If you’re an administrator or instructor, you will be able to assign these micro-credentials. Once assigned to students and employees, you will need to proctor the test for those individuals. Admins and instructors can proctor their own micro-credential assessments while they are in pilot phase..
To prepare for the assessments or compare your current course content to the content in these assessment, please refer to the SACA standards on the Portal Site.